NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN CHAMER OF COMMERCE GLOBAL LGBT SUMMIT OF THE AMERICAS
TORONTO JUNE 14-16, 2017
WHAT: Top LGBT entrepreneurs and business owners will come together to share best practices, meet with corporate leaders interested in diverse suppliers, and identify barriers to growth and overall success when the CGLCC (Canadian Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce), hosts the NGLCC (National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce) Global 5th Annual LGBT Summit of the Americas.
- The influence and economic impact of the LGBT market is vast and ever growing
- Canadian stats: LGBT population is estimated at 2.3 million. 140,000 LGBT‐owned businesses. Annual buying power is more than $90 billion
- Combined North American stats: 1.5 million LGBT‐owned businesses, contributing nearly $2.2 trillion to the economy, and more than 35,000 jobs. Annual buying power of more than $1 trillion!
INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES: A curated group of LGBT entrepreneurs from across the Americas are available for interviews including:
- Mandy Rennehan ‐ “Blue‐Collar CEO” & Founder of Freshco – Canada’s top retail maintenance/construction provider boasting an impressive list of Fortune 500 clients including Apple and Nike. Mandy is one of the country’s top female entrepreneurs – named WXN’s Top 100 Most Powerful Women, Profit Magazine’s W100 and EY Entrepreneur of the Year Finalist. Mandy is originally from Nova Scotia and is now based in Ontario.
- Jeff Fettes – a Canadian tech entrepreneur, investor and philanthropist. Jeff founded Winnipeg‐based 24‐7 Intouch, a business process outsourcing company that has over 10,000 employees at 15 sites across the globe including Canada, United States, Guatemala, Jamaica, and the Philippines. The company is notable for helping the world’s best-known brands develop their customer service strategies.
- Bobbie Jo Racette – Founder & COO of Calgary‐based Virtual Gurus, a million‐dollar startup company that has supported more than 500 businesses in Canada and the US, servicing everyone from startup entrepreneurs to Fortune 500 executives. Bobbie is currently in the process of expanding her business with the addition of the Virtual Gurus Academy, Task Gurus and Assistant America.
- Jordan Whelan – Founder & President of Grey Smoke Media, and a media mastermind who has parlayed his communications knowledge into multiple entrepreneurial ventures. Canada’s largest newspaper, The Toronto Star, listed him “Top 10 People to Watch” and he was a 2013 finalist for Deloitte’s Emerging Leader Award. In addition to being a syndicated columnist and Guest Speaker, Whelan has provided entrepreneurial and socio‐political commentary for hundreds of television, magazine, radio and newspapers outlets across Canada.
- Darrell Schuurman – Co-‐Founder and CEO of the Canadian Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, working to expand the economic opportunities and advancement of Canada’s 140,000+ LGBT‐owned businesses. A strong supporter of entrepreneur development, he is currently launching a mentoring program for LGBT youth, and is the co‐founder of the Canadian Gay & Lesbian Business Education Foundation.
WHEN: Interviews available in person, by phone or email throughout the month of May and early June.
To arrange an interview please contact: Talvi Kuld (TK Strategic Communications firstname.lastname@example.org (416) 917-7323) or Katrina White (CGLCC email@example.com (416) 268‐0988).
About the NGLCC Global 5th Annual LGBT Summit of the Americas
The Canadian Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC), in partnership with the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) of the United States, will host the NGLCC Global 5th Annual LGBT Summit of the Americas in Toronto, Canada June 14‐16, 2017 at the InterContinental Yorkville hotel.
This year’s Summit brings together leaders and experts from government, corporations, entrepreneurship, academia, and global economic development. Through educational programming and networking, the Summit will strengthen the ecosystem that supports the advancement of economic and social development of LGBT entrepreneurs and the LGBT community at large, here in Canada, the Americas, and globally.
The Summit will build on the success of the first four events, which have taken place respectively in Colombia (2012), Mexico (2014), Peru (2015), and the Dominican Republic (2016).
Partners and Sponsors of the Summit include: TD Bank Group, RBC, Delta Air Lines, Sun Life Financial, Higgins & Burke Naturals, Sodexo, Kellogg, Freshco, and Ontario150.
The Summit is presented by The National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) in partnership with The Canadian Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC). The NGLCC is the business voice of the LGBT community and is the largest global advocacy organization specifically dedicated to expanding economic opportunities and advancements for LGBT people. NGLCC is the exclusive certification body for LGBT-‐owned businesses in the United States. The CGLCC is a national, non‐profit industry association committed to forming a broad-based coalition, representative of the various interests of LGBT‐owned businesses, allied businesses, corporations, professionals, and students of business for promoting economic growth and prosperity. CGLCC is the certifying body for LGBT‐owned businesses in Canada.
For more information, visit www.cglcc.ca/summit2017.